Bringing you the best of Second Life since 2008.

Design Evolution


This post is really about philosophy, creativity and our lives at Phil's Place, but good girl that I am -- my lead is a fun fashion freebie that you can pick up at **Stash***. Along with the pretty little fellow who normally sits atop your shoulder, you get a black tee shirt. Both are contained in an automatically open on wearing shopping bag which you can use for a prop later.

There are a couple of segues that lead from the Stash store to my philosophy of the day on evolving design. The lizard is precious and the automatically opening, stylish packaging a joy. The tee shirt has a fun pattern and I like it a lot, but there is no finishing on the edges. Hence, it will not remain in my closet. That is not a complaint, just a reality. Our standards rise quickly in SL, perhaps more quickly than in real life.

And here is segue number two, "evolve or perish" *wink*. I am smiling here since this theme is forefront in my personal SL life this week. I am closing Baubles in a couple of days and PhotoGraphique will be more or less closed also.

What lead me to ***Stash*** this morning was a post on one of the feeds by Tact Arida. I enjoy the posts from that blog, and today's feature was of special interest to me as it concerned photography and cameras.


I definitely wanted to see this camera!

On arrival I found a classy and organic shop (curved walls, not grass growing up from the floors) with a few very impressive items. This just out digital camera looks like the future to me. I haven't been camera shopping, so I don't know if there are others out there and the vendor photo was difficult to see no matter what Windlight settings I tried, but WOW!. It looks like it does everything.

Update: Momo  has a nice piec on her blog. Yes, it is in German, but you can Google Translate :D

Now, I know some of you out there are photographers and I know that more than a few of you have the Chic dg2 camera. Thank you for that. There is no question in my mind, however, that I am a blogger first and a retailer second.  I wanted you to know about this new camera so you could check it out and perhaps give us a report. The camera wasn't available for viewing in the shop like some of the other products, so I cannot report in my normal manner. And Tact's blog is a photoblog, so no info there. I can tell you that the camera is fairly pricy, but I also know that doesn't matter to some of you :D.

All this serendipity lead me on a thematic philosophical journey.

We know how fast things move in SL. Designers push the boundaries of their software and scripting and come up with new and improved items for our virtual lives. What was new becomes outmoded. I have watched this in both fashion and home products. Some designers have turned to quicky texture slapins and templates (and lower prices) to stay competitive. Some have taken the opposite track and closed their stores -- at least for awhile. They have gone out, presumably with some pressure relieved, and created their best works to date. There is no "right" way here; we each have to choose what works for us.

There have been ongoing complaints about copybots, intellectual property rights and just plain copying. These things do belong in the bad column. They are also in the "not going away" column. I have had my ideas and items copied and I am fairly sure some have been copybotted. Honestly, I am not going to spend my time worrying about it. I make the things I make for the enjoyment of the creative process. In the beginning, most of the things I sold were items that I made for myself. If we can enjoy what we are doing without getting caught up in the wrongs of the virtual world, aren't we be much happier?

The wrongs aren't going away at Phil's any more than they are going away on our planet. We can do what we can to be true to ourselves and proud of how we live our lives. We have very little control over others.

Thanks to GonzuS Decosta for the lizard and the inspiration for the journey.



Click on any photo for a high rez version. You may need to enlarge further with the zoom tool.


Style Notes: 

Hair: Amacci Hair Lena ~ Golden Brown
Skin: []::Tuli::[] The Dressing Room :: Gina 06
Clothing: [Miseria] Ash Cardigan - Cranberry

Accessories: [Baubles] Oversized Hoop Earring - copper

Poses by: Amacci

Comments

Popular Posts